Re: [Orekit Developers] [Survey] Mailing list or forum, what is your preferred communication tool?

Hi All,

On Fri, 2018-08-03 at 20:40 +0200, MAISONOBE Luc wrote:
Sébastien Dinot <sebastien.dinot@c-s.fr> a écrit :

Dear all, Like you, I use mailing lists for a long time (20 years for my part). The mailing lists provide a great service to open source communities, but they are not flawless and the tools used to manage them and access to their archives (Sympa <https://www.sympa.org/>, Mailman <http://list.org/>, ..) are becoming outmoded, probably like the mail itself... ): In the meantime, a new generation of forum managers (Discourse <https://www.discourse.org/>, Flarum <https://flarum.org/>, ...) emerged. They have a nice and up-to-date web interface and they provide a better user experience thanks to a lot of features, like rich text formatting (Markdown), integrated search engine or ability to edit your posts to correct a mistake without having to send another mail... For these reasons and many others, a lot of open source projects are shifting to forums. Here are some examples: * ITK : https://discourse.itk.org/ * Gitlab : https://forum.gitlab.com/ * Rust : users : https://users.rust-lang.org/ ; developers : https://internals.rust-lang.org/ * Atom : https://discuss.atom.io/ * Docker : https://forums.docker.com/ * TrueOS : https://discourse.trueos.org/ * Mozilla : https://discourse.mozilla.org/ * ROS : https://discourse.ros.org/ What is your opinion about forums? Would you shift to a forum manager like Discourse? Do you prefer to stay on mailing lists? Would you like to have both?
+1 to discourse. We have to agree our mailing lists are in a sorry state. Searching in the archive is depressing with a web interface with zero functionalities (an ugly page where you can only click on each month number to see the messages from said month). As our community is growing, we have to scale up to something that can scale up.

I like email because I'm familiar with it and everything I'm interested in gets delivered to my inbox. :) I'm not opposed to learning a new technology. Just might take a little while to get used to it.

Best Regards,
Evan

Luc

Sébastien -- Sébastien Dinot Free Software Expert CS SI - Space BU - Payload, Data & Applications Parc de la Grande Plaine - 5, rue Brindejonc des Moulinais - BP 15872 31506 Toulouse Cedex 05 - France +33 (0)5 61 17 64 48 - sebastien.dinot@c-s.fr