RE: [Orekit Developers] Data-related exceptions

Hi,

These mails are very interesting to read, thank you all. This is touching on the “philosophy” of development, I think there is no definitive answer. But it is really inspiring to read everyone’s experiences.

I strongly agree with Evan on one point : my goal when starting this discussion was not to overburden the Orekit maintainers. I think that the ease of performing the refactoring, and maintaining Orekit afterward should be an important driver of the solution. The current design of exceptions is already quite fine, sometimes “best” is the enemy of “good”.

I have taken the liberty to update the poll results :

-          added option 6 suggested by Evan, which I believe is slightly different than option 4

-          updated the votes of everyone, according to my understanding of their answers. Do not hesitate to rectify if I did not understood your position

Here are the current results :

1) change a few checked exceptions to unchecked

2) change all checked exceptions to unchecked

3) use standard java exceptions (IOException, ...)

4) create a few different Orekit exception for different errors

5) use a small Orekit hierarchy with an easy to catch top level

6) only 2 or 3 exceptions : (maybe one checked), one runtime, one error

Yannick : 1 + 6, not opposed to 2

Luc : hesitating between 1 + 4 + 5 or 2 + 4 + 5

Evan : leaning towards just 2, though not opposed 1 + 6

Guilhem : ? + 3

Anne-Laure:  1 + 4 + 5 (3 is fine but in a "nice to have" way)

Regards

Yannick

Ce courriel (incluant ses eventuelles pieces jointes) peut contenir des informations confidentielles et/ou protegees ou dont la diffusion est restreinte. Si vous avez recu ce courriel par erreur, vous ne devez ni le copier, ni l'utiliser, ni en divulguer le contenu a quiconque. Merci d'en avertir immediatement l'expediteur et d'effacer ce courriel de votre systeme. Airbus Defence and Space et les sociétés Airbus Group declinent toute responsabilite en cas de corruption par virus, d'alteration ou de falsification de ce courriel lors de sa transmission par voie electronique.
This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information or information otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, do not copy this message or any attachments and do not use it for any purpose or disclose its content to any person, but delete this message and any attachments from your system. Airbus Defence and Space and Airbus Group companies disclaim any and all liability if this email transmission was virus corrupted, altered or falsified.
Airbus Defence and Space SAS (393 341 516 RCS Toulouse) - Capital: 29.821.072 EUR - Siege social: 31 rue des Cosmonautes, ZI du Palays, 31402 Toulouse cedex 4, France