Re: [Orekit Developers] forge migration within two months

Le 28/03/2018 à 14:11, Ward, Evan a écrit :
Thanks for the heads up. I curious as to the reasoning behind the switch to GitLab.

It is quite simple:

  • Redmine is hard to maintain because:

    • This tool is very sensitive to the change of version of underlying Ruby gems.

    • Even when, as we did it, Redmine is installed in a self-containing Ruby environment (using RVM), this tool remains affected by the change of native system libraries on which the Ruby gems depend. Sometimes, the forge is broken after an insignificant system update (actually, several debian packages are on hold on the server because of that).

    • Redmine itself does not manage source repositories. It can only index existing repositories, created outside the forge. To address this problem, the Redmine Git Hosting plugin is used but this plugin is poorly maintained and the issues are rarely corrected.

    • So, migrating from Redmine 2.5 (the current used version) to Redmine 3.4 (the last version) would be a nightmare, requiring several painful steps.

  • You do not use a Redmine feature that Gitlab does not provide.

  • Gitlab provides all features you need and, thanks to the Omnibus package, it is easier to deploy and to maintain than Redmine. Gitlab have a lot of other advantages over Redmine, and an impressive dynamic. So, an increasing number of our teams are switching on Gitlab.

Sébastien

--
Sébastien Dinot
Free Software Expert