Re: [Orekit Developers] Preparing release 8.0

Le 24/06/2016 17:10, MAISONOBE Luc a écrit :

> This last change would be to get rid of the PropagationException and
> replace it with a simple OrekitException. The rationale for this change
> is that PropagationException failed to bring any value and just added
> complexity. A typical case is used code to implement a step handler.
> Such code can only throw PropagationException, not the superclass
> OrekitException. However, since that code often uses other Orekit
> features (to get PVCoordinates in some frame for example), then users
> must wrap the OrekitException thrown from below. We end up with lots
> of code like:
>
>   try {
>     // do some Orekit stuff
>   } catch (PropagationException pe) {
>     // already the good sub-type of exception, just re-throw
>     throw pe;
>   } catch (OrekitException oe) {
>     // wrap the underlying exception
>     throw new PropagationException(oe);
>   }
>
> Do you think we could remove this PropagationException?

I'm not sure to understand the change: will the step handler declared
throwing an OrekitException or nothing?

If the PropagationException is replaced by OrekitException, doing such
change will bring the developer face to a situation where exception can
break the logic of the code without being warned because OrekitException
are naturally allowed by the signature of step handler.
begin:vcard
fn:Guilhem Bonnefille
n:Bonnefille;Guilhem
org;quoted-printable:CS Syst=C3=A8mes d'Information;Division Espace
adr:;;Parc de la Grande Plaine - 5, rue Brindejonc des Moulinais - BP 15872;Toulouse Cedex 05;;31506;France
email;internet:guilhem.bonnefille@c-s.fr
title:Architecte
tel;work:05 61 17 62 84
url:http://www.c-s.fr/