Re: [Orekit Developers] SOCIS 2016 is coming

paulcefo <paulcefo@buffalo.edu> a écrit :

Luc,

Hi Paul,

I am quite happy to propose a SOCIS task regarding the partial derivative matrices in the DSST and to mentor a student.

Thanks a lot !

There really are two parts of the partials -- the state transition matrix for the mean equinoctial elements and the partials of the mean equinoctial elements at an arbitrary request time with respect to the drag and solar radiation pressure parameters.

These are the B2 and B3 matrices. See Section 4 "Semi-analytical least squares orbit determination" in Srinivas Setty's paper recently accepted for Advances in Space Research.

I have added a new item in the list, see <https://www.orekit.org/forge/projects/orekit/wiki/SOCIS>.

We have obtained a lot of utility by having an analytical closed form for the RHS of the state transition matrix ODE for LEO and that is a starting point. It would be good to have a similar closed form for GEO. We could also do recursive models for the RHS's of the state transition matrix ODEs.

The SOCIS effort is very dependent on having an up to speed student.

Also because of the distributed nature of such a project, electronic conferencing s/w such as teamviewer or webex is important.

With respect to the three projects on the web, I would like to be involved in the effort "Add continuous maneuvers to DSST propagator".

Sure. For both subjects related to DSST, I have added a line notifying
that two mentors will follow these subjects. I can provide the
Orekit, design and Java support and you will be the referee for DSST
theory.

ESA will probably grant us one student only, and the student will choose
one of the subjects amont the several ones we propose. We will see what
the students want to cut their teeth on.

Finally, I think the DSST Tesseral short-periodic models is worthy of a SOCIS research topic, although I understand that this topic is hard. In this area, the attachment has some concepts for a more efficient architecture.

Good idea.

Tell me what you need for me to write.

Yes, if you want to write something about this, please do.
I have granted you write access to the forge, so from now on
if you log into one of your account to the forge (you have two
accounts), you will see an "edit" linK on the wiki pages near
the top right. If you prefer, you can send me the text directly
and I'll do the edit.

regards,

Paul
--
Dr. Paul J. Cefola
Consultant in Aerospace Systems, Spaceflight Mechanics, & Astrodynamics

4 Moonstone Way
Vineyard Haven, MA 02568
USA

508-696-1884 (phone on Martha's Vineyard)
978-201-1393 (cell)

paulcefo@buffalo.edu
paul.cefola@gmail.com