Re: [Orekit Developers] Ephemeris Mode & AbstractPropagator

On 04/01/2012 07:08 PM, MAISONOBE Luc wrote:

>> The thing I was referring to was the EventDetector interface, which in
>> my understanding, uses fixed step sizes.
>
> No, EventDetector does not uses fixed step sizes. The maxCheckInterval
> is only an often very large setting to avoid missing some events. It is
> not related to the accuracy of the event detection.

That's strange, I have experimented a lot with the maxCheck setting and
visibility detectors, and it was missing events if the setting was too
big (e.g. 10 min). Thus I always assumed (without actually looking at
the code), that events that are shorter than the maxCheck setting would
not get detected.

>> Maybe changing the behavior of EventDetector#getMaxCheckInterval could
>> help in such a case. Or do the other classes (EventState,
>> BasicStepInterpolator) assume this value to be fixed and not changing
>> throughout the propagation?
>
> I think I begin to understand. Do you want to have maxCheckInterval
> being modified by a stepHandler to enlarge and reduce as you know there
> will not be any event for some time ? This would imply adding a
> resetMaxCheckInterval in the detector interface which for sure is possible.

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind, sorry for my first post, which
was quite misleading.

Thomas