Re: [Orekit Users] how to calculate iss passes

Matteo <appdeveloper80@gmail.com> a écrit :

I thank you again for your answer, I'm trying to use formula in this post (
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19739831/is-there-any-way-to-calculate-the-visual-magnitude-of-a-satellite-iss)
for reflection model.

When I use ElevationExtremumDetector, I'm actually filtering for positive
elevation: in this case regarding number 2) (the fact ISS is illuminated by
Sun or in Earth shadow) is ISS always illuminated by Sun?

No. ISS is in Low Earth Orbit (very low, indeed) so Earth as seen from ISS fills a very big part of the visible space. ISS is in eclipse roughly half of the time. Basically, if local time at the ground point is such that it is the middle of the
night and if ISS flies directly at the zenith, it will also be in the night.

Is
ElevationExtremumDetector filtering for eclipsed transit?

No, because for classical operations, we need to be able to get satellite
telemetry and send telecommands even at night. We don't really "look" at
the satellite, we connect to it using ground stations antennas. So this
detector finds by default all passes.

Also rather than ElevationExtremumDetector (which will give you only one
point, the max of the pass), you can use ElevationDetector which will
give you the raising and setting times, and can take into account
atmospheric refraction, which distorts rays near horizon. Another
reason to use ElevationDetector is that if your ground point is slightly
after sunset (or before dawn) and therefore is in night, the max pass
will also be in night and you will miss it, despite near the horizon, the
ISS may be out of shadow and be visible (despite the observer is in the
night part of the Earth, near the terminator).

If not, how can I know if ISS is eclipsed in the "eventOccurred" of an
ElevationExtremumHandler since I'm out of a EclipseDetector event?

You can wrap your ElevationDetector within an EventEnablingPredicateFilter
object, together with your own implementation of EnablingPredicate based
on the g method of an EclipseDetector (not the eventOccurred method, which you
don't need here). Something along these lines:

 public class Illuminated implements EnablingPredicate<ElevationDetector> {

    private final EclipseDetector eclipseDetector;

    public Illuminated() throws OrekitException {
        this.eclipseDetector = new EclipseDetector(CelectialBody.getSun(),
                                                   696000000.,
CelestialBodyFactory.getEarth(), Constants.WGS84_EARTH_EQUATORIAL_RADIUS);
    }

public boolean eventIsEnabled(SpacecraftState state, S eventDetector, double g)
        throws OrekitException {
// we are in direct Sun light when the g function of the eclipse detector is positive
        return eclipseDetector.g(state) >= 0;
    }

 }

Then, instead of using the ElevationDetector itself, you would use the EventEnablingPredicateFilter that wraps it, and it will perform the filtering logic for you, so you are not bothered with the passes over your ground point that happen when ISS is not illuminated at all.

Beware, I just wrote this code quickly in the mail, I did not even try to compile it,
so it may well contain errors.

bes

Thanks again!

Il venerdì 24 febbraio 2017, MAISONOBE Luc <luc.maisonobe@c-s.fr> ha