Re: [Orekit Users] DSSTPropagator isOsculating

Elisabet,

Tesseral terms can contribute multiple terms to the space object motion:

1. Deep resonant terms

2. Shallow resonant terms

3. Tesseral m-daily terms

4. Tesseral linear combination (short-periodic) terms

In the DSST (both GTDS and Standalone) in the initialization, the period of the resonant terms is compared with a parameter RESONPRD. The default for RESONPRD is 864000 sec or 10 days. If the period of the resonant terms is larger than RESONPRD, the terms are deemed to be resonant and they are included in the mean element equations of motion portion of the DSST.

If the period of the resonant terms is less than RESONPRD, the terms are considered to be short-periodic terms.

It must be that for the default Orekit DSST LEO test case, the tesseral terms do not contribute to the resonant motion.

In GTDS DSST and in the Standalone F77 DSST, RESONPRD is an input parameter. It should be considered if RESONPRD should be an input to the Orekit DSST?

I am attaching a paper that I co-authored with Ron Proulx in 1991 on DSST and Shallow Resonant orbits. Particularly, I vector you to the discussion at the bottom of p. 4. This has application to speeding up the DSST when tesseral perturbations are included.

The derivation on pp. 9 to 11 is also important.

regards,

Paul

--
Dr. Paul J. Cefola
Consultant in Aerospace Systems, Spaceflight Mechanics, & Astrodynamics

4 Moonstone Way
Vineyard Haven, MA 02568
USA

508-696-1884 (phone on Martha's Vineyard)
978-201-1393 (cell)

paulcefo@buffalo.edu
paul.cefola@gmail.com