Re: [Orekit Developers] SOCIS application

Gábor Kövesdán <gabor.kovesdan@gmail.com> a écrit :

Dear Orekit Developers,

Hi Gábor,

my name is Gábor Kövesdán and I'm a PhD student from Hungary, Budapest. I have a strong Java background and the ideas list of Orekit seems quite interesting to me. I would like to know which of the project ideas has the highest priority? So which should I apply to? Also, what preliminary preparation do you suggest before sending my application?

The most important thing is that you feel motivated by the subject.
From our point of view, which is less important, the hot topîcs are either the data loading if the student is more computer science oriented, and the acceleration in frame transforms if the student is more space flight dynamics oriented. Another subject, also for space flight dynamicists, is the attitude subject, but it may be more difficult.

As the Orekit team has rather a flight dynamics background, we can provide more help on the last subjects than on the first one, but on the other hand it also means non-Orekit people (SOCIS student for example) can bring more value to us as they provide something new.

The preparation you can do is first trying to install and run the unit tests and the tutorials. As I'm pretty sure anyone who first tries Orekit hit the "no IERS UTC-TAI history data loaded" error, look at this FAQ if you encounter the problem: <https://www.orekit.org/forge/projects/orekit/wiki/FAQ#Runtime-errors>. Then, if you succeed in running these tutorials, look back at the SOCIS subject and look also in the wiki pages on the forge to understand the global architecture and what the SOCIS subjects are about. You can also ask questions on the mailing list. Beware the mailing list is public, so do not put any personal information here (i.e. don't send you application with CV there, send them using ESA SOCIS site, they will transfer the application to mentors as needed).

I'm looking forward to your answer. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Gábor Kövesdán